Blue Origin and its desire to take humans to space on vacation
Blue Origin is one of the travel companies of the future that plans to take us to space on its reusable launch vehicles. Despite the buzz around space travel becoming a reality in less than 5 years from now for almost everyone, some people still doubt the possibility.
Ordinarily, for Astronauts that have undergone rigorous training in preparation for a space mission, this wouldn’t have been major news, but the idea of booking a trip to space on vacation is fascinating.
On Blue Origin’s website, there’s currently a countdown timer whereupon registration, you will be one of the first to get updates today (May 5th, 2021) on how you can buy the very first seat on New Shepard —a vertical-takeoff, vertical-landing (VTVL) launch vehicle —and be one of the lucky few to visit space on vacation.
Alan Shepard — the first American astronaut in space — completed his first flight to space on May 5th, 1961. The Blue Origin’s launch vehicle (New Shepard) was named after him, as a result, today has a historical significance to Blue Origin and its founder, Jeff Bezos.
According to different reports from the media, it was stated that at a cost of approximately $250,000 per person, the launch vehicle might eventually lift up to 6 people at a time to space and the total travel time was estimated at 11minutes. However, I’m not too bothered, with the expected updates, we shall no longer be in the dark.
In my own personal opinion and based on the world’s annual international tourist arrivals data, I think many people will gladly jump on a trip around the entire globe at zero cost. But only a few are prepared for the possibilities of dangers. With space travel, people might still be sceptical despite the safety records, and I believe it might take time before everyone considers venturing on this memorable journey. The cost isn’t going to be cheap for now, but in the long term, space might be a reality for everyone.
Amazon — an eCommerce giant founded by Jeff Bezos — already has a large market share in terms of online sale and it has been able to disrupt the act of buying and selling. I don’t think Jeff isn’t considering disrupting the travel industry.
If space travel becomes an annual vacation that cost less than $7,000 per trip/person inclusive of all expenses, fintech companies specializing in providing loans will surely benefit to an extent. Also, it still remains to be seen if Blue Origin will partner or merge with Expedia to provide its services or buy out some smaller travel companies.
To many of us, everything about Blue Origin sounds interesting, but we haven’t given it a deeper thought. I’m going to play the role of the devil’s advocate while you just have to pretend to have been subpoenaed by the court to be on the Jury. Sit down and read carefully as I interrogate the accused.
Questions to be answered by the accused:
- Interrogator: What’s your opinion on the invasion and colonization of countries?
- Interrogator: Mars and other planets have vast landmass and it’s possible to have up to 2,000 life forms, what should be done if we ever encounter such life forms that are capable of higher reasoning and communication like humans?
- Interrogator: You have invested so many resources to make space travel a reality, do you think you deserve to be entitled to a certain percentage of the landmass on another planet? Do you think developing countries deserve a land on a different planet or should it be restricted to the G7 countries? Also, what would be the criteria for naming each territory?
- Interrogator: We already have the UNWTO and G20, who do you think should be responsible for making laws and prosecuting those flouting laws in space?
- Interrogator: The earth is in constant battle with global warming, so what will you do differently when in space?
- Interrogator: Based on your vision, you plan to ensure millions of people are living and working in space. The company also stated that it plans to preserve the earth for our grandchildren’s grandchildren, by going to space to tap its unlimited resources and energy. So, indirectly, you’re planning to have a large community that could be subjected to the same problems faced on earth? Also, you wouldn’t mind stealing the assumed unlimited resources even if there are already people inhabiting the planet?
- Interrogator: The company’s mission also includes the reduction of the cost of access to space. But, do you think it’s possible to charge less than $2,000 per trip excluding all other services?
- Interrogator: If some people start living and having children on a different planet, what travel passport are they going to require when visiting earth? If Blue Origin including each of the G7 countries — US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Germany and Japan — all have their territories on Mars, does it mean people from Mars will require Visa on vacation?
- Interrogator: How do you plan to start the construction of school buildings, hotels, resort, shopping malls, offices, roads, etc? Do you plan to take construction workers and materials from earth?
- Interrogator: Are there any safety concerns during and after the trip? Do you think there could be a physiological change in humans as a result of exposing themselves to a different environment?
I’m very certain that deep down in your mind, you’ve got more challenging questions than the ones listed in this article. The questions are just my personal thoughts on what Blue Origin needs to consider before history label them as greedy instead of being called a revolutionary company that cares about the existence and survival of the human race.
When it comes to technological advancement, I’m always very interested. It takes a crazy thought to develop something extraordinary. In most cases, because people don’t understand what you’re trying to build or since it hasn’t been done before, only a few people will support the idea. But honestly, most crazy ideas are a stepping stone for others to build on.
As for Blue Origin, it’s very clear that many more successes await them in their pursuit of space travel.
As usual, the Dartemuv team just want to say thank you for reading this article and we hope to bring you more…
Kindly Share, Follow and Clap.